Most of the operating systems consist of DirectX. This is because it is an in-built application programming interface. Without it, Windows will not be able to play multimedia contents properly.
However, direct x needs to be updated every now and then so that the system performance can get better. And in some cases, some operating systems may not even have DirectX for some unknown reason.
So, to get more information on what DirectX is and how to install it, go through the rest of the contents below on DirectX download!
DirectX 11.1 is available for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 RS SP1, with Platform Update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 (KB2670838). Note To upgrade DirectX further, you will need to upgrade your operating system. Windows Vista/Windows 7: Go to Start Menu type 'dxdiag' in the Search Bar, and hit the ENTER key. Windows XP: Go to Start Menu Run type 'dxdiag' in the Open Bar. 2) The DirectX Diagnostic Tool will run. It will take a few moments to complete – you can watch the green progress bar in the left-hand corner.
DirectX: What Exactly is it?
Developed by Microsoft, DirectX 12 download is known as an API (Application Programming Interface) in a set. The purpose of DirectX is to make it easy for the Windows operating system to play multimedia contents. Also, there are many developers who build games by using the DirectX Libraries. In there, codes are written that work on all operating systems.
During the initial days, DirectX was made available on the internet as an individual component.
It would often show up in prompts asking you to install the updated version of DirectX for smooth gaming performance.
But now, ever since Microsoft has made it a part of the Windows operating system, updating it has become relatively easier than before. Here’s a fact that might be useful to you. The latest version of DirectX is known as DirectX 12.
This version can only be run on Windows operating system 10. The older versions like 7 and 8 support the older version of DirectX which is 11.
DirectX Versions: Operating Systems
- Direct X 2.0a (version 4.03): Windows NT 4.0 & Windows 95
- Direct X 5.2 (version 4.05): Windows CE & Windows 98
- Direct X 6.1a (version 4.06.03): Windows 98 Exclusive
- Direct X 7 (version 4.07.00): Windows 2000
- Direct 7.1 (version 4.07.01): Windows ME
- Direct X 8.1 (version 4.08): Windows Server 2003 & Windows XP
- Direct X 9.0c (version 4.09): Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows Server 2003 SP1 & Windows XP SP2 and SP3
- Direct X 10.1 (version 6.00): Windows Server 2008 & Windows Vista
- Direct X 11: Windows Server 2008 R2 & Windows 7 SP1
- Direct X 11.1: Windows RT, Windows 8 & Windows Server 2012
- Direct X 11.2: Windows RT, Windows Server 2012 R2 & Windows 8.1
- Direct X 11.3 & Direct X 12: Windows 10
How to Know Which Version of DirectX does your System have?
To know which version of Direct X is installed in the system, do the following steps to find out:
The first thing to do is open the “Run” box using the “Windows” and the “R” key on the keyboard. Then, in the blank field, type “dxdiag”. The following window called the “Direct X Diagnostic Tool” will come up.
Now, locate the panel called “System Information”. There, you’ll see an option called “DirectX Version”. Check that part as it contains information about which version of Direct X is installed on the system. If you use a Windows 10 operating system then the version would be 12.
Now that you’re on the information page, click on the option called “Display”. If you have two or more monitors, then you will see an option that says “Multiple”.
If you are wondering if Direct X is working on other components then check out the status of the Direct X components. All of them should be enabled.
DirectX: How to Download and Install it?
Before you do the DirectX download, the first thing you need to do is check the specifications of the system you are using. Then move on to DirectX download.
Go to the official website of Direct X and then go to the download page. Now, in the DirectX download page, select language according to your preference and then hit the “Download” option just beside it.
Keep in mind that you may be asked to download some other products promoted by Microsoft. If you are not in need of any, skip them. When the download is finished, go to “Downloads” and then click on the file named “dxwebsetup.exe”.
Now go through the installation procedure which should not take more than a minute. Once the installation is done, you can choose to restart the system. Then when the system opens, try testing if Direct X is working fine or not.
Download DirectX Using Windows Update
If you face any difficulty while doing the Directx 12 downloading using the previous way, then try an alternative way for DirectX download:
As you know Microsoft has made it a part of the Windows update, so when you update the whole operating system, Direct X latest version will also be updated or installed along with it. Here’s how to do it:
- Simply go to the “Start” section and then type “Settings” in the search bar. Then click on the result. In the following window of ‘Settings”, search the option called “Update & Security”.
- After that, go to the option called “Windows Update”. There, click on the option called “Check For Updates”.
Now, if there are any updates available for the operating system, it will come up. If not, then you’d know that the system is already up to date and so is Direct X.
If updates are available, then continue updating the windows operating system. Once the system has been updated successfully, you’d know that Direct X has also been updated along with it.
To verify, you can follow the previous method of checking the status of DirectX. You’ll get information about the version.
About DirectX 11
Microsoft DirectX 11 11 is a group of technologies that integrate into Windows and adds the capabilities required to run many of the most popular PC gaming titles on Windows. Whether it's from platforms like Steam or for games that have been purchased on other platforms or in hard copy format, DirectX 11 is necessary to take advantage of the graphics processing technology required to run them. These newer technologies take some of the load off of the CPU for processing power and pass them on to the graphics card for more realistic-looking graphics rendering. This download is licensed as freeware for the Windows (32-bit and 64-bit) operating system/platform without restrictions. DirectX 11 is available to all software users as a free download for Windows.Is DirectX 11 safe to download?
We tested the file directx_Jun2010_redist.exe with 24 antivirus programs and it turned out 100% clean. It's good practice to test any downloads from the Internet with trustworthy antivirus software.Does DirectX 11 work on my version of Windows?
Older versions of Windows often have trouble running modern software and thus DirectX 11 may run into errors if you're running something like Windows XP. Conversely, much older software that hasn't been updated in years may run into errors while running on newer operating systems like Windows 10. You can always try running older programs in compatibility mode.What versions of DirectX 11 are available?
The current version of DirectX 11 is 11 and is the latest version since we last checked. This is the full offline installer setup file for PC. This site has hosted other versions of it in the past such as 11 and . At the moment, only the latest version is available.
Development of this software has ceased, and therefore DirectX 11 is obsolete, so future updates should not be expected.
Directx 11 Video Card Download
Alternatives to DirectX 11 available for download
Directx 11 Exe
- NVIDIA Direct3D SDKA collection of DirectX 11 code samples to create 3D graphics in Windows.
- NVIDIA System MonitorA graphics adapter monitoring, diagnostics and settings tool.
- EVGA Precision XOCOverclock, optimize and control cooling on NVIDIA cards.
- NVIDIA PhysXPowerful physics engine for Nvidia graphics adaptors.
- EVGA Precision X1Performance tuning and tweaking application for EVGA Nvidia cards.
- NVIDIA Display Control PanelNVIDIA display adapter management tool which can adjust image settings, resolution, multiple monitors, color, 3D effects, PhysX and monitor orientation.
- NVIDIA System ToolsOptimizes and manages the performance of NVIDIA graphics cards.
- Intel HD Graphics DriverA must-have graphics driver for generic Intel chipsets (32-bit)
- DirectX 9.0cUpdate package from Microsoft that updates the installation of DirectX to 9.0c runtime which many modern games require.
- GeForce ExperienceThe effective replacement for NVIDIA Update utility.